🚨NOW ACCEPTING MIDDLE GRADE QUERIES!🚨Focusing on contemporary fiction. Please see updates and submission guidelines in my bio. Looking forward to considering your work! #amquerying #middlegradefiction #querytip
2. Older YA, especially if you have a story about a teen who elects not to go to college
3. Hopeful, funny, romantic
4. Emotionally-fraught, grounded thrillers and mysteries
6. Experimental, inventive storytelling
#mswl cont ⬇️
In YA, i still love most genres and everything from light to dark. I love hope and depth and humor and stories that can change lives, whether from joy or empathy and validation. More specifically:
1. Super high concept contemporary and speculative contemporary
#mswl cont ⬇️
2. Commercial fantasy adventure series, ensemble casts with or without a talking creature or two
4. Contemporary family stories
5. LOL high concept, character-strong stories
6. Hooky, character-driven contemporary series
#mswl cont ⬇️
More specifically in MG, i love a great, accessible voice and humor across the spectrum, but also more serious literary stories. MORE specifically:
1. Madcap adventures in any genre
#mswl cont ⬇️
beth phelan @beth_phelanIt’s my last weekend to get caught up before i open to queries on April 12!
I’ve responded to almost all outstanding queries (email me if you’re still waiting--i missed it) but still catching up on requested fulls (please keep being patient)!
First thing to note is that I only represent MG and YA. I love every genre from light contemporary to high fantasy and everything in between. I don’t represent artists or graphic novelists and don’t typically represent verse.
This week has felt like a year, so please send me some fun contemporary! Give me all the MG and YA goofiness that makes me giggle and gives me all the feels. I’m ready to open my inbox and smile🥰 #MSWL
People who cheat get so demonized, which look it’s charged emotions and shitty betrayal, but cheaters are people too? And that’s the kind of character I want to follow in contemporary YA. Well, specifically the person who sleeps with their bff’s partner. #mswl
“Unique, genre-blending romance novels. For example, I wish I had worked on The Plus One by Sarah Archer or any of Roselle Lim’s breathtaking romantic contemporary fantasy novels. Give me an adult rom-com in space, or with magic.” @ericsmithrocks #MSWL ericsmithrocks.com/mswl
Agents, I'm in the mood for some epic YA contemporary in my submission inbox! That moment that changed everything, that person that shifted the way you see the world, that secret you kept, or that summer you'll never forget. #MSWL
For Love Inspired, I'm acquiring contemporary Christian romance (bit.ly/3lVSWEp). Send me your emotional romances full of conflict! I'd especially like to see more from BIPOC authors, authors with disabilities and authors from other marginalized groups. #mswl 3/4
💫 I’d love a messy dysfunctional mother/daughter adult contemporary in the vein of VERY NICE, or a family saga a la THE MOST FUN WE EVER HAD, I’m here for it, particularly if you’re a BIPOC author or have a queer story in this realm! #MSWL
💫 Upmarket adult contemporary a la Emma Straub, Kiley Reid, Celeste Ng, Brit Bennett. Gorgeous writing, conversation starters, messy relationships, sisterhoods, friendships. Beyond the divorcée book club fic. #MSWL
I’m so excited to open to queries Friday, March 26th, so here are some of my current top #MSWL items!
💫 Diverse romance is at the top of my list. I’m desperate for queer contemporary, historical or rom coms f/f or nb/f), as well as roms by BIPOC creators! All tropes welcome.
• gothic and horror in MG, YA, and Adult that haunts you with its writing as much as the subject matter (not one for gratuitous gore)
• contemporary fantasy with fresh hooks, strong character dynamics, immersive worlds, & romance subplots.
hi all ~ putting out a call for #mswl items I want to see more of:
(especially featuring marginalized POVs & casts by marginalized writers!)
• contemporary romance/ rom-coms in YA & Adult with wit, heat, humor & heart
• thrillers/mysteries/suspense in YA & Adult 1/?