Also, here's a handy #MSWL! Eager for book club fiction, suspense, contemporary YA, and diverse voices. manuscriptwishlist.com/mswl-post/sara… Please note: unless I directly request something and outside of #PitMad, I am only accepting agented submissions!
Looking for both YA and adult contemporary stories of #ownvoices and #POC. Raw, honest voices. Real emotions, with a commercial hook. Please query me. I am always, always on the hunt for great storytellers. #MSWL
Natascha Morris @SoCalledYALifeSo let's talk graphic novel #MSWL ahead of me opening on 6/1. Below are just a small sample of some of my talented clients and their work.
For graphic novels, art is such a big part of it for me. pic.twitter.com/nePULFddzM
But you don't have to be an illustrator to give me graphic novels. I also love script only graphic novels #MSWL.
One thing I have noticed about my taste is I read for escape. I lean towards fantasy, or contemporary-elevated (which is not my regular every day).
- gentle contemporary romances about queer young people falling in love for the first time
- historical fiction highlighting overlooked events or individuals from marginalized groups
- contemporary novels about POC immigrants/second generation Americans
Trisha de Guzman @trishadegLike many of us in these strange times, I’ve been taking comfort in books. And it’s made me think of the kinds of stories I want to champion.
Most of this won’t be a surprise, but for what it’s worth, here’s my current #MSWL:
- high-concept, darkly comic modern fables with literary writing and crossover appeal like THE PISCES or GEEK LOVE
- eerie and atmospheric fantasies inspired by non-Western mythology
- sweet contemporary rom-coms about QPOC main characters
- contemporary stories that take a tongue-in-cheek approach to deconstructing toxic gender norms
- ripped-from-the headlines contemporary novels with literary writing and whipsmart sociopolitical commentary
1.) MAGIC REALISM. Give me contemporary stories with magic or historical tales with a mythological/fairy tale emphasis! I’m especially interested in diverse mythologies (or my old favorite, anything Celtic). #MSWL
So #MSWL ahead of reopening on Monday 6/1: contemporary Romances and rom-coms! I have been thinking about the manuscripts I have read lately and loved or the books I have read lately and loved, and this was what they all had in common: they were all romantic books. So gimme!!
Ignoring the fact that I am backed up on queries:
#MSWL I want the next Talia Hibbert Red heart Give me all the body-positive, LGBTQIA+ friendly, inclusive, diverse, and sexy contemporary romances. Please and thank you!
I'm constantly catching up on queries (which have gone up 200% since the pandemic hit). One category I'd love to see more of are graphic novels for kids and teens. Contemporary/fantasy/historical. Always diverse voices! Especially if an author/illustrator. #MSWL
Would love a YA contemporary that's a series of letters written to a younger sister (now 15) from a sister who died at 16/17 when girl was a 3-yo. Imagine a serious GOOD LUCK CHARLIE meets THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. Could alternate between letters & new sibling's perspective. #MSWL
Here is my #mswl darleyandersonblog.com/2020/02/25/mee… Generally, outside of crime, things that are uplifting & are about finding/making connections. High concept, feel-good, love stories. And across children's uplifting again, funny, things inspired by kindness and nature.
#mswl In adult -- voice and hook. Contemporary, historical, fantasy, speculative fiction, fantastical realism. Books I’ve recently called faves include The Interestings, A Gentleman in Moscow, Nothing to See Here, The Starless Sea, The Power, and the Broken Earth Trilogy 8/?
#mswl #ya In teen, query me with your contemporary coming-of-age stories filled with hope, your teen girl angst, and your fantasies with unexpected twists on classic tropes (see: books I had edited like Most Likely, You Must Not Miss, and The Bone Houses) 7/?
- Funny and sweet contemporary coming-of-age stories
- Light fantasy adventures with great heart
- Historical fiction highlighting lesser-known narratives about marginalized folk