Natascha Morris @SoCalledYALifeCan I get a book that is Margo and Elliot from the Magicians? #MSWL #YA
Reimena Yee 🦇🌹 Preorder The Maker's Club! @reimenayeeSomeday I'd like to spend time to identify the visual-literary devices unique to comics and put them all in a list. Something that goes beyond appropriating terms from other media, and beyond just describing the format.
If you are a graphic novel creator, looking to these #MSWL and thinking how your visual form can breathe life into them is what I want.
And I am linking to this amazing thread that @AngrygirLcomics retweeted this morning because it is gem. twitter.com/reimenayee/sta…
Natascha Morris @SoCalledYALifeInfluencers Say Instagram Is More Likely To Remove Photos Of Plus-Size Bodies, And They May Be Right. #MSWL #YA buzzfeed.com/laurenstrapagi…
Annoyingly specific #mswl: anyone have an interesting Persuasion retelling they want to throw my way? I've been working on an Austen puzzle and remembering how great and underrated that one is--exes reconnecting years later with hurt feelings and figuring out how to reconcile!
I'd love to see more upmarket/literary fantasy in my inbox, a la TEN THOUSAND DOORS, UPROOTED, A DARKER SHADE. I'm particularly drawn to books that play with fairytales and folklore, but I'm looking for anything that draws me in w/ great characters and excellent writing. #mswl
Kyle Lukoff @Shekels_LibraryEditors, agents, etc: In my 8 years as a children's librarian, all the books I've seen about police categorize them as "community helpers"; all I've wanted is a book speaking to children for whom that is not their experience.
- gentle contemporary romances about queer young people falling in love for the first time
- historical fiction highlighting overlooked events or individuals from marginalized groups
- contemporary novels about POC immigrants/second generation Americans
- high-concept, darkly comic modern fables with literary writing and crossover appeal like THE PISCES or GEEK LOVE
- eerie and atmospheric fantasies inspired by non-Western mythology
- sweet contemporary rom-coms about QPOC main characters
- contemporary stories that take a tongue-in-cheek approach to deconstructing toxic gender norms
- ripped-from-the headlines contemporary novels with literary writing and whipsmart sociopolitical commentary
“In upmarket fiction, I’m looking for precise angles: Period pieces with women breaking into lively professions (think TV or comedy a la I Love Lucy) and Women in S.T.E.M.” @readbystephanie #MSWL psliterary.com/submissions/
Also, send me a romance that feels like summer from page one, beach or lake setting, or big city summer feels like LA or NYC. YA or adult, esp from marginalized creators. All the complex feels like in BEACH READ & THE KISS QUOTIENT & REAL MEN KNIT. And as always:🏳️🌈 #MSWL
Closing to queries on 6/1 (until 7/1!), so I’m sending out the #MSWL bat signal. I’m LONGING for a realistic MG that hits me w/ ALL THE FEELS reminiscent of Erin Entrada Kelly, Laurel Snyder, Kelly Yang, Kat Yeh, & Brandy Colbert. Fresh & voicey, esp from marginalized creators.
Sylvan “stay inside” Creekmore @SylvanCreekmore#mswl ok so I really love the trope of the Plot to Lose Our Virginity because it's such a real pressure many teens feel + is a great setup for hijinx BUT would love to see a version where the protag discovers they're ace & intentionally remains a virgin ("virgin") & embraces it
would love to steal this 😉😉😉 #mswl