I'm especially on the lookout for stories with trope-heavy plots and unbelievable voice that are informed by contemporary teen issues but not wholly centered around them. See: HOME AND AWAY by @candiceamanda and YOU SHOULD SEE ME IN A CROWN!
TROPE-HEAVY ROMANCE! Especially diverse, queer, intersectional romances! Please for the love of all that's sacred someone send me an ace-romance. I beg the publishing gods! #MSWL
ATMOSPHERE! Setting that feels like a character is a huge hook for me. I'm on the hunt for contained settings (like boarding schools, small island towns), quirky small towns, and stories with a strong sense of regionality. #MSWL
HUMOROUS VOICES! A lot of the contemporary I read and acquire has a witty/ funny narrator, and an author with a gift for humor (see: Cece in @SoniaHartl1's HAVE A LITTLE FAITH IN ME). Please, please send me your funny books! #MSWL
Agents! I'm putting a HIGH priority on YA contemporary realism in my inbox right now! My tastes are more picky in realism than they are in spec-fic, so here's a list of what I'm really drawn to in this broad category... #MSWL
Mia Mingus @miamingusWish we embraced falling in friendship love and the magic of friendship love in general. It really is such a magnificent, kindred soul-shifting experience that can manifest in so many wonderfully different ways. It truly deserves its own genre of art, movies/TV, writing, music.
This is a huge #MSWL for me!
If you have a book focused on friendship, whether it's the ride-or-die kind, the I'll fight to the ends of the earth for you kind, or the we grew up together and this is how we navigate change kind, send them to me when I reopen!
I was just thinking that I would really love to see a young MG or chapter book with series potential, fantasy grounded in reality, to do with a girl and fairies. Not YA. #MSWL
5. MG with a Big Hook! I like funny books and magical books and sad books and creepy books. In other words, I'm open to any genre, as long as it has a fun, snappy premise that'll get a kid's attention!
4. LatinX representation in kidlit- all ages, all genres, though I am particularly interested in finding a YA contemp & a MG fantasy! A few favorites: @LauraTNamey, @Nina_Writes, @acevedowrites, @djolder, and @CeliaCPerez. (You should be reading *all* of them!)
3. RomCom - Adult or YA. I want laugh out loud, swoony, sexy, joyful reads. I loved RWRB and The Hating Game on the Adult side, To All the Boys and Gentleman's Guide on the YA side. But really, I'm happy to read anything that's truly Rom AND Com. #mswl
2. Adult thrillers/suspense: I like stories w/ top notch characterization + a slow burn, and also stories that are gripping page turners that I finish in one sitting. A few favorites: Ruth Ware, Rhiannon Navin, Wendy Heard, Gillian Flynn, Danya Kukafka, Oyinkan Braithwaite #mswl
LA @lorraineavila_Latinx History Month is starting soon. Hire BLACK LATINXS. PAY BLACK LATINXS. Hire BLACK LATINXS. PAY BLACK LATINXS. Hire BLACK LATINXS. PAY BLACK LATINXS. Hire BLACK LATINXS. PAY BLACK LATINXS. Hire BLACK LATINXS. PAY BLACK LATINXS. Hire BLACK LATINXS. PAY BLACK LATINXS. Hire B
This. Agents, please send me work by Black Latinx authors. Not just this month but all year round. #mswl
1. Adult Horror: I want books that have something to SAY--about our present, our past, our future. Feminist/anti-colonialist stories are close to my heart, but I'm open to anything that can be described as "smart + terrifying." I'm also open to grounded fantasy w/ horror elements