First day of work @KnopfBFYR in 2020 calls for a #mswl!
- Middle grade! Give me camp & give me swimming & give me queerness, please!
- Not-for-everyone level weird/spec YA
- Can't-put-down voices
- Graphic novels! All ages, all genres, all above mswls apply to this format, too!
Please send me the YA (or MG? Not sure!) on the #opioidcrisis. Possibly from the perspective of a student journalist personally impacted by it who to their core needs to DO SOMETHING about it?? I have a lot of feelings on why the kidlit world needs this; send it to me. #mswl
- Graphic novels, all ages and genres (but especially middle grade) (!!!)
- Picture book texts with social emotional learning & maybe a nontraditional family structure—and sweep me off my feet with debut author-artists!
- The voicey-est YA
It’s almost the end of August (😱)... so here are a few things I’d love to see in my inbox this fall:
- MIDDLE GRADE! (Specifically: queer and/or gender-expansive narratives; girls in sports; and still forever searching for my dream CAMP book & animal fantasy.) #mswl
Dahlia Adler @MissDahlELamaI’m obviously not the person and please god do not @ me about it, but I really hope there’s a queer MG anthology in the works. I will help you with your entire lineup if it’s not already happening and you decide to take this on.
This is my literal dream. #mswl
Marisa DiNovis @dinovismsMiddle grade animal (or animal-adjacent...) (light) fantasy, because I still desperately need something to fill the Wild Robot-shaped hole in my heart. 🤖💖 #mswl
Re-upping because I am truly desperate to see middle grade animal stories in my inbox! #mswl
Where are all the girls and/or queer kiddos who are really into sports in kid lit? The narratives about relationships with your body and your friends and your crushes, through the lens of your athleticism and relationship to sports? #MG and #YA! #mswl
Let's kick off 2019 with #mswl! I'd love to see:
- LGBTQ+ middle grade and YA, any genre, any time period!
- Contemporary YA with a spec twist (think Still Life with Tornado or Dig)
- Literally ANYTHING that evokes Tillie Walden's On a Sunbeam
- Graphic novels or memoirs
When I was a kid/teen, I had so many complicated feelings about myself, my body, and my peers in all things related to sports (swimming’ll do that). I would LOVE to find a middle grade or YA narrative that takes on this kind of emotional arc. #mswl
It's #mswl day! Ok, so...
- queer girl contemp realistic graphic novels in YA
- & lgbtq+ characters and stories in any format and genre for any age, but especially MG
- found/chosen family narratives in YA
- sex-positive YA
- Own Voices stories w/ South & Central America settings