8. During quarantine I've played a lot of video games. I'd love some MG & YA fiction, or adult fiction & nonfiction about video games (Homages to games? Deep-dive histories? Esports stories?). I am a lifelong Zelda, Monkey Island, & Harvest Moon fanatic.
7. Funny contemporary YA—I know I tend toward dark stuff, but I also adore comedy, & I would love some super-voicy YA that makes me laugh out loud. Rom-coms included. Ditto adult for fresh & funny book club/contemporary fiction.
4. YA & adult upmarket fiction with speculative elements—please, I want this coming out of my ears. Send me your weird stories that are grounded in our world. (Think: Catherine House, Nothing to See Here, Neverworld Wake, Black Mirror, Never Let Me Go)
2. Horror across the board: Spooky stories for MG, lyrical & atmospheric YA horror, adult horror that will surprise me—literary-leaning writing with propulsive plots. I am open to & love nearly all kinds of horror.
Erin Clyburn @erin_clyburnI am down to zero queries & three subs in my query box. (I hope to hit inbox zero by July 1, but time will tell.) Either way, I'm looking forward to opening to queries July 1! Here's a little #MSWL for when I reopen:
#amquerying #writingcommunity #amagenting
1. Food-centric fic & nonfic. I would love to see narrative nonfic deep dives into culinary history & people whose stories haven't been told. Essay collections about food intersecting with culture, politics, social justice. & in fic, MG, YA, & adult fic where food plays a role.
I'd love to see in my queries:
- Atmospheric, woodsy, lush horror like THE YEAR OF THE WITCHING (YA, A)
- Domestic/psychological thrillers by BIPOC authors (A)
- Scavenger hunts (MG, YA, A)
- Eerie spec fic in isolated settings (CATHERINE HOUSE, THE WATER CURE)
In adult nonfiction, I'm still looking for untold histories, memoirs with a big hook especially if they are extreme sports or adventure stories, pop science, cookbooks, & culinary histories. Again, send me your weirds.
Could you describe it as something like "upmarket fiction with a twist of weird"? That's my jam. Think NOTHING TO SEE HERE, CATHERINE HOUSE, THE AGE OF MIRACLES, THE RIVERMAN, THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER. Send me your weirds, please - MG, YA, adult!
When I reopen to queries in Jan., my wishlist is going to look different than it does now. In adult fic, I am really going to want to see upmarket fiction & book club fiction, literary fic, rom-coms, mystery, domestic & psychological thrillers, horror, & grounded speculative fic.
I know the year isn’t over, but I’m calling it. My three favorite books I read this year were EVERY BONE A PRAYER by @ashleyblooms, CATHERINE HOUSE by @lissiethomas, & THE RADIUM GIRLS by @KateBooks. Those three books could also pretty much serve as a microcosm of my adult #MSWL.
Adult upmarket fiction - women’s fic, spec fic, mystery. Looking for beautiful literary writing with a great hook. Would love to see more with older women protags.
Erin Clyburn ~closed to queries~ @erin_clyburnTrying to switch my brain off work mode, but I keep thinking about manuscripts I’d love to see when I reopen to queries later this month. So here’s a little #MSWL thread I’ll keep adding to:
A riveting YA or adult adventure novel featuring outdoor sports - a hiker, a climber, an ultramarathoner? A YA about teens hiking the Appalachian Trail or the PCT?!
I'm closing to queries soon for a bit to catch up on subs.
Before I do, I'd love to see some literary-leaning horror (MG, YA, adult) in my inbox. Atmospheric horror, body horror, campy horror, autumnal horror, emotional horror—all of it.
#MSWL #amwriting #writingcommunity
Alechia says get SAVING RUBY KING! @alechiawritesPlease tell me the most delicious, sweetest, foodtastic (I mean food on every page if possible) YA stories out there. I want to believe I wrote a really great one that you'll love and fingers crossed that'll get out in the world, but I would love to read some right now!!
I just saved a lot of these recs to my to-read list. & also, please send me your foodtastic books (MG, YA, & adult)! #MSWL
Morning, y'all! An update to my #MSWL:
I'm no longer accepting queries for picture books or chapter books. I'm going to focus on MG, YA, & adult fic & nonfic. Check out my fresh new list & see if we might be a match.
I’m mostly staying out of #PitMad today, mostly, but please query me if you think we’re a good fit. Right now I’d love to see something YA or A that’s really lyrical & literary, something with a super lush, immersive setting. & as always I’m dying for MG. #MSWL