8. During quarantine I've played a lot of video games. I'd love some MG & YA fiction, or adult fiction & nonfiction about video games (Homages to games? Deep-dive histories? Esports stories?). I am a lifelong Zelda, Monkey Island, & Harvest Moon fanatic.
7. Funny contemporary YA—I know I tend toward dark stuff, but I also adore comedy, & I would love some super-voicy YA that makes me laugh out loud. Rom-coms included. Ditto adult for fresh & funny book club/contemporary fiction.
4. YA & adult upmarket fiction with speculative elements—please, I want this coming out of my ears. Send me your weird stories that are grounded in our world. (Think: Catherine House, Nothing to See Here, Neverworld Wake, Black Mirror, Never Let Me Go)
2. Horror across the board: Spooky stories for MG, lyrical & atmospheric YA horror, adult horror that will surprise me—literary-leaning writing with propulsive plots. I am open to & love nearly all kinds of horror.
Erin Clyburn @erin_clyburnI am down to zero queries & three subs in my query box. (I hope to hit inbox zero by July 1, but time will tell.) Either way, I'm looking forward to opening to queries July 1! Here's a little #MSWL for when I reopen:
#amquerying #writingcommunity #amagenting
1. Food-centric fic & nonfic. I would love to see narrative nonfic deep dives into culinary history & people whose stories haven't been told. Essay collections about food intersecting with culture, politics, social justice. & in fic, MG, YA, & adult fic where food plays a role.
I'd love to see in my queries:
- Atmospheric, woodsy, lush horror like THE YEAR OF THE WITCHING (YA, A)
- Domestic/psychological thrillers by BIPOC authors (A)
- Scavenger hunts (MG, YA, A)
- Eerie spec fic in isolated settings (CATHERINE HOUSE, THE WATER CURE)
Julia McCarthy @thejumblesI would really love to final a YA novel that explores the relationship between deep, old nature, human connection, and the supernatural in the same unsettling manner as Twin Peaks.
Oh hell yes. #MSWL
Could you describe it as something like "upmarket fiction with a twist of weird"? That's my jam. Think NOTHING TO SEE HERE, CATHERINE HOUSE, THE AGE OF MIRACLES, THE RIVERMAN, THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER. Send me your weirds, please - MG, YA, adult!
In MG, I want to see contemporary of all kinds, creepy/spooky stories, & again, grounded fantasy or speculative. In YA, I'd love to see more thriller, horror, Gothic, grounded fantasy or speculative, contemporary, rom-coms, & really lush literary fic.
Erin Clyburn ~closed to queries~ @erin_clyburnTrying to switch my brain off work mode, but I keep thinking about manuscripts I’d love to see when I reopen to queries later this month. So here’s a little #MSWL thread I’ll keep adding to:
A riveting YA or adult adventure novel featuring outdoor sports - a hiker, a climber, an ultramarathoner? A YA about teens hiking the Appalachian Trail or the PCT?!
I'm closing to queries soon for a bit to catch up on subs.
Before I do, I'd love to see some literary-leaning horror (MG, YA, adult) in my inbox. Atmospheric horror, body horror, campy horror, autumnal horror, emotional horror—all of it.
#MSWL #amwriting #writingcommunity
I'd also love to see more upmarket fiction, women's fiction, & YA horror. I'm surprised how little of the query pie these genres take up. Please send me more of them. #MSWL
Katherine Harrison @KidlitKatThis post reminds me that I need one of you YA authors to write a creepy gothic retelling of the story of green ribbon girl. Maybe a graphic novel?!? #mswl twitter.com/svershbow/stat…
Echoing this #MSWL (which you probably could've guessed from looking at my Twitter header). A YA retelling of "The Green Ribbon"? Please send it my way!
Alechia says get SAVING RUBY KING! @alechiawritesPlease tell me the most delicious, sweetest, foodtastic (I mean food on every page if possible) YA stories out there. I want to believe I wrote a really great one that you'll love and fingers crossed that'll get out in the world, but I would love to read some right now!!
I just saved a lot of these recs to my to-read list. & also, please send me your foodtastic books (MG, YA, & adult)! #MSWL
Morning, y'all! An update to my #MSWL:
I'm no longer accepting queries for picture books or chapter books. I'm going to focus on MG, YA, & adult fic & nonfic. Check out my fresh new list & see if we might be a match.
Erin Clyburn @erin_clyburnThe boyfriend & I have gone down a YouTube rabbit hole of Fountains of Wayne videos that segued into Mazzy Star & then REM vids & now we are weeping.
On that note, I am very much not a fan of romance or mushy books, but if someone could write an angsty, romantic YA that captures the swoony ‘90s energy of “Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star, well... that person should send it to me. #MSWL