4. YA & adult upmarket fiction with speculative elements—please, I want this coming out of my ears. Send me your weird stories that are grounded in our world. (Think: Catherine House, Nothing to See Here, Neverworld Wake, Black Mirror, Never Let Me Go)
I finished line editing a client’s gorgeous MS that’s a family saga with a speculative twist, & I feel like I know generations of a whole town’s worth of people so intimately. Please send me more family sagas with speculative twists. I would so love more books like this. #MSWL
I'd love to see in my queries:
- Atmospheric, woodsy, lush horror like THE YEAR OF THE WITCHING (YA, A)
- Domestic/psychological thrillers by BIPOC authors (A)
- Scavenger hunts (MG, YA, A)
- Eerie spec fic in isolated settings (CATHERINE HOUSE, THE WATER CURE)
In MG, I want to see contemporary of all kinds, creepy/spooky stories, & again, grounded fantasy or speculative. In YA, I'd love to see more thriller, horror, Gothic, grounded fantasy or speculative, contemporary, rom-coms, & really lush literary fic.
When I reopen to queries in Jan., my wishlist is going to look different than it does now. In adult fic, I am really going to want to see upmarket fiction & book club fiction, literary fic, rom-coms, mystery, domestic & psychological thrillers, horror, & grounded speculative fic.
Adult upmarket fiction - women’s fic, spec fic, mystery. Looking for beautiful literary writing with a great hook. Would love to see more with older women protags.
Oh, hello! At long last, my #MSWL page is up! I will try to keep this as up to date as possible. (I also regularly tweet things I'm looking for here.) Check it out:
#amagenting #amquerying #WritingCommunity
Erin Clyburn @erin_clyburnAs the holidays approach, some news:
I'll be closing to queries Dec. 1 - 31. I have a pile of queries & subs to catch up on, so please add yours to it before Dec. 1 if you wish!
#amquerying #amagenting #WritingCommunity
While I'm at it, a quick #MSWL of things I would love to see right now:
- Big-hearted contemporary MG
- MG horror
- A domestic thriller
- YA thriller/horror
- YA/A speculative/light sci-fi (think Black Mirror)
- MG/YA/A with a culinary theme
I want to see YA or adult horror/spec fic that's deeply rooted in character (We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Baby Teeth). A lyrical spec fic like The Dreamers. I am forever dying for something you could comp to Never Let Me Go. #MSWL