MG horror, too: Spooky stories, stories that are a little bit creepier than you feel like they should be for middle graders. (More HIDE AND SEEKER than DOLL BONES, if that makes sense? It makes sense to me.)
I’ve been in a bit of a reading funk for a while, but I just devoured half of @dakadh’s HIDE AND SEEKER, & y’all! This is what I mean when I say I want scary MG! It is not gently spooky; it is visceral! It’s scary! It’s the book my morbid childhood self would’ve loved! #MSWL
8. During quarantine I've played a lot of video games. I'd love some MG & YA fiction, or adult fiction & nonfiction about video games (Homages to games? Deep-dive histories? Esports stories?). I am a lifelong Zelda, Monkey Island, & Harvest Moon fanatic.
2. Horror across the board: Spooky stories for MG, lyrical & atmospheric YA horror, adult horror that will surprise me—literary-leaning writing with propulsive plots. I am open to & love nearly all kinds of horror.
Erin Clyburn @erin_clyburnI am down to zero queries & three subs in my query box. (I hope to hit inbox zero by July 1, but time will tell.) Either way, I'm looking forward to opening to queries July 1! Here's a little #MSWL for when I reopen:
#amquerying #writingcommunity #amagenting
1. Food-centric fic & nonfic. I would love to see narrative nonfic deep dives into culinary history & people whose stories haven't been told. Essay collections about food intersecting with culture, politics, social justice. & in fic, MG, YA, & adult fic where food plays a role.
I'd love to see in my queries:
- Atmospheric, woodsy, lush horror like THE YEAR OF THE WITCHING (YA, A)
- Domestic/psychological thrillers by BIPOC authors (A)
- Scavenger hunts (MG, YA, A)
- Eerie spec fic in isolated settings (CATHERINE HOUSE, THE WATER CURE)
Erin Clyburn ~closed to queries~ @erin_clyburnI just finished watching The Orange Years, a documentary about the early years of Nickelodeon, & it really coalesced for me my forever #MSWL when it comes to middle grade:
I’m always chasing the feeling some of those early Nick shows (Pete & Pete, Salute Your Shorts, Doug, Clarissa Explains It All—but mostly Pete & Pete) captured: of being a nerdy kid, pretty anxious, always on the fringes, but with those friends who totally got you.
Could you describe it as something like "upmarket fiction with a twist of weird"? That's my jam. Think NOTHING TO SEE HERE, CATHERINE HOUSE, THE AGE OF MIRACLES, THE RIVERMAN, THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER. Send me your weirds, please - MG, YA, adult!
In MG, I want to see contemporary of all kinds, creepy/spooky stories, & again, grounded fantasy or speculative. In YA, I'd love to see more thriller, horror, Gothic, grounded fantasy or speculative, contemporary, rom-coms, & really lush literary fic.
I'm closing to queries soon for a bit to catch up on subs.
Before I do, I'd love to see some literary-leaning horror (MG, YA, adult) in my inbox. Atmospheric horror, body horror, campy horror, autumnal horror, emotional horror—all of it.
#MSWL #amwriting #writingcommunity
I'm all caught up on queries. 🎉 If you haven't heard back, your query is in the maybe pile. & I have six full manuscripts to read, which I'll be doing very soon.
Also, y'all have been crushing my recent request for more MG. Please keep 'em comin'.
#amquerying #querytip #MSWL
Alechia says get SAVING RUBY KING! @alechiawritesPlease tell me the most delicious, sweetest, foodtastic (I mean food on every page if possible) YA stories out there. I want to believe I wrote a really great one that you'll love and fingers crossed that'll get out in the world, but I would love to read some right now!!
I just saved a lot of these recs to my to-read list. & also, please send me your foodtastic books (MG, YA, & adult)! #MSWL
Morning, y'all! An update to my #MSWL:
I'm no longer accepting queries for picture books or chapter books. I'm going to focus on MG, YA, & adult fic & nonfic. Check out my fresh new list & see if we might be a match.
Soon, my clients will all either be writing or on sub, so I'm hungry to sign a new author. (Yes, I do have a few fulls to read; I'm getting to them!) I'd give my proverbial right arm for a big-hearted middle grade right now. Something a little magical, like HELLO, UNIVERSE. #MSWL