19. Please do not email me your query or use the contact form on my website, where it clearly states not to use it to query me. 🤦🏼♀️ If I’ve asked you to email me your query material, that’s ok, but otherwise, queries must come in via Query Manager.
18. Three very important elements in opening pages for me are voice, tension, & curiosity! These are a MUST if I’m going to potentially request more material. Less backstory and world building, more scene action & character. Surprise me! Give me something I MUST keep reading for.
17. I *DO* want to see diversity in my inbox and in the world. *DO* send me LGBTQIA+ stories, diversity in families, etc.
I’m good with swears in books if it’s appropriately used/not overdone. Swearing for the sake of swearing in a 📖 is not my jam. (Even though I’m a swearer!)
16. My stance on AI: Do NOT send me anything generated by AI. That is not art, it’s a copout. AI is ok to do research but in no way, shape, or form should it be used to “create” a story. Humans do the storytelling; AI steals it. My opinion. 🤷🏼♀️
15. I’m NOT keen on:
Science Fiction, Space Operas, Robots, etc. I’m not a science-y person
Anything political, incl vaccination debates & Trump-supporters
Gore horror, extreme violence
Erotica—it’s just not my thing
Stories over 110K words
13. Stuff I absolutely LOVE in no particular order:
The jaw-dropping parts of BEHIND HER EYES
Soulmates/past life stuff
Animals—I’m a huge kitty person!
Wine, chocolate, coffee
Tear-jerkers like THIS IS US
Romcoms like YOU’VE GOT MAIL
12. Other nonfiction categories: true crime, wine and wineries, wine and food pairings (especially if combined with travel), empathic studies and emotional toll on empaths, history of witches and witchcraft, ancient civilizations and locations in the vein of ANCIENT APOCALYPSE.
10. Nonfiction about overcoming narcissistic/sociopathic abuse and how the criminal justice system is anything but just. The “brotherhood” mentality of law enforcement and how it negatively impacts victims of any kind of abuse, giving permission to the “bad guys” to be bad.
NONFICTION I’d love to see:
9. Above all else, I am hugely drawn to natural childbirth, pregnancy, unassisted birth, and motherhood. Informative and heartwarming as opposed to overcoming losses. Ina May Gaskin is my hero!
7. I’m very particular about memoirs. It needs to read like fiction. Memoir Plus is huge right now; your personal struggles being affected by a universal external circumstance. A memoir is not a diary of your life; it’s a specific event that greatly impacted your life.
5. When it comes to Upper MG, I enjoy adventures with pirates, witches, ghosts, animals that can communicate, an underlying moral lesson learned by the main character, strong friendships, and stories of courage, overcoming obstacles, or shining in the face of adversity.
2. Fantasy involving ghosts, witches, etc. Vampires are ok but they need to be human-friendly like ADOW. (I *adore* ADOW!). Historical fantasy like ADDIE LARUE. With historical fiction, I prefer pre-20th century.