10. Also, reminder from my most epic Ren Faire trip: I kind of want a contemporary about working at a Ren Faire and the behind the drama. @angelinearly tweeted about feuds the other day, and I was curious about the hook-ups. So I feel like it could be a good mashup #MSWL.
6a. Side note: did anyone see the story of the girl whose homemade slime business (that she was running out of the bathroom) got shut down by the administration? THAT is the kind of #MG version of this that would be epic. #MSWL
6. I want a book that challenges the patriarchy or even the authority. Books like SUGGESTED READING by Dave Connis or THE BIRDS, THE BEES, AND YOU AND ME by Olivia Hinebaugh. Books about kids seeing how stupid adults & the rules are and they find ways to fight back. #MSWL #YA #MG
5. I want a fluffy rom-com. I want to feel the feels! Think MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING. Or the girly squeels of delight when Anne cracks the slate over Gilbert's head. I want to fall in love. #StanGilberBlythe #JonanthanCrombie4Eva #MSWL
4. I want a cinematic, high concept fantasy unlike anything I have seen before. I love unlikable ladies (but they must still be relatable), and I would love a single POV. Character driven is the BEST for me. With literary-esque writing. #MSWL
2. College set YA. But make it hella YA themes. Because sometimes the most quintessential YA themes are of finding your place in the world are actually found as a freshman in that first semester. Also, community bathrooms are SCARY. #MSWL
Natascha Morris @SoCalledYALifeLet's do a #MSWL! Because I am itching for some new books!
1. Spice Girls Break Up Book. I didn't realize how much I needed this until I said. I want a group of friends who lives are impacted by the Spice Girls. #MSWL
Natascha Morris @SoCalledYALifeI won't say just because this is my professional Twitter but I will say I was younger than expected and my German mother had already been telling me about periods for years. Still didn't recognize mine when it happened or even fully understand what having a period meant. twitter.com/1mercysarah/st…
For any writers out there writing about menstruation (#mswl) remember that knowing=/=understanding. And also kids sometimes think they know, but they don't.
Dr. Uwe Stender @UweStenderPhDCollege YA is another area that has been brought up in my informal polling, @ReadWriteandMe also mentioned it. I wish that publishers were more open to it, but if you send me a great one, we may make it happen saleswise. My next #MSWL: College YA.
Seconded! As someone who grew up with the same kids from kindergarten to 12th, college was the first time I was with new people, and allowed to reinvent myself (as it were) but it was also the first time I was out on my own. There are alot of rich YA themes in this setting. #MSWL