Literary agent at The Bent Agency. I tweet about books and desserts in equal measure. My dog is the best office assistant ever. Vote!
I'm constantly catching up on queries (which have gone up 200% since the pandemic hit). One category I'd love to see more of are graphic novels for kids and teens. Contemporary/fantasy/historical. Always diverse voices! Especially if an author/illustrator. #MSWL
Other things that make my agent heart sing: high concepts, voicey narration, fantasy (especially with a unique twist), lush historical settings, fresh paranormal, boarding schools, sister stories, falling in & out of friendship, dark & atmospheric, setting as character. #MSWL
I’m especially on the lookout for YA rom coms (TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEFORE; RED, WHITE, AND ROYAL BLUE), MG contemporary (A SONG FOR A WHALE; EVENTOWN), MG historical (WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE; PRARIE LOTUS), and graphic novels (NEW KID, LAURA DEAN) #MSWL
Other random elements I love: historical fiction, witches (historical and contemporary, but less on the humorous side), boarding schools, food, slow build romance, whimsy, retellings...#MSWL
How about some middle grade #MSWL today?
- Classic feel + animal POV (ONE AND ONLY IVAN, PAX)
- Fantasy, both lighthearted and dark (Thickety series, UNICORN QUEST)
- Quirky + puzzles + complex plots (Mysterious Benedict Society, YORK)
- Historical (WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE)
- Blended genres, especially with historical settings (MY LADY JANE, GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE, Jackaby series)
- Groundbreakers that make you say wow (THE HATE YOU GIVE, CODE NAME VERITY)
Jenny Bent @jennybenthey everyone we have a cool announcement #TBA @LaurelSymonds thebentagency.com/laurel-symonds pic.twitter.com/JiUlv5RzL4
I am so thrilled to join The Bent Agency as a literary agent!
Writers, send me all* your books!
*Specifically good ones that fit the linked criteria. Bonus points if they include mighty girls, dogs, sisters, baking, or magical happenings.