Literary agent at The Bent Agency. I tweet about books and desserts in equal measure. My dog is the best office assistant ever. Vote!
I'm constantly catching up on queries (which have gone up 200% since the pandemic hit). One category I'd love to see more of are graphic novels for kids and teens. Contemporary/fantasy/historical. Always diverse voices! Especially if an author/illustrator. #MSWL
Other things that make my agent heart sing: high concepts, voicey narration, fantasy (especially with a unique twist), lush historical settings, fresh paranormal, boarding schools, sister stories, falling in & out of friendship, dark & atmospheric, setting as character. #MSWL
Fantasy, but make it fresh: unique settings, unusual formats, underrepresented mythology, magical realism, paranormal (yes, paranormal!). I've seen a lot of queries comping to GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE and MY LADY JANE. Keep 'em coming! #MSWL
How about some middle grade #MSWL today?
- Classic feel + animal POV (ONE AND ONLY IVAN, PAX)
- Fantasy, both lighthearted and dark (Thickety series, UNICORN QUEST)
- Quirky + puzzles + complex plots (Mysterious Benedict Society, YORK)
- Historical (WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE)
While we’re getting to know each other, how about some #mswl? Today I’ll talk about YA:
- Contemporary with earnest, engaging voices (WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI, TO ALL THE BOYS, DUMPLIN’)
- Lush fantasy (CARAVAL, Grisha series)
- Sassy girl detective a la Veronica Mars
Jenny Bent @jennybenthey everyone we have a cool announcement #TBA @LaurelSymonds thebentagency.com/laurel-symonds pic.twitter.com/JiUlv5RzL4
I am so thrilled to join The Bent Agency as a literary agent!
Writers, send me all* your books!
*Specifically good ones that fit the linked criteria. Bonus points if they include mighty girls, dogs, sisters, baking, or magical happenings.