Sarah Nicolas aka Sarah N Fisk @Sarah_NicolasPW really said "we don't want poors in our romance kthx" twitter.com/SoniaHartl1/st…
Hey so, good opportunity to make it EXPLICITLY CLEAR that romances depicting non-wealthy (or even middle class) experiences are very important to me!!!
This is true in all genres, but romance gets a special call-out bc um, poor folks deserve swoony love stories too? Obv??
For more details, specifics, & fave comps, check out my full MSWL. If you know my taste, much of this will be familiar—but hopefully still exciting. 😉 Agents, I’m always happy to catch-up and chat if it’s been awhile—or for the first time!
And now, on to year two! 💕✨
• Queer joy, in everything!
• Travel stories with protagonists of color!
• Warm, supportive communities! Found families! Ensemble casts!
• Belonging! Being in-between!
• Comfort! Agency! Radical empowement!
• Low-stakes! Slice-of-life!
• Science! Nature! Biology!
I approach genre as a tool for positioning & a context that authors are in conversation with. I love stories that blend, complicate, or reimagine the boundaries of their genre(s)!
But I’m usually NOT the best fit for dystopian, horror, or thrillers/pure suspense.
Feather Flores 🌸🌿 @featherfully✨ Lil professional update: ✨
June marks one full year of my bookish shenanigans at Atheneum (@SimonKIDS + @simonteen )! 🥳 I’m grateful to work with the BEST creators & colleagues—and so proud of my list!
To celebrate, I gave my #MSWL a refresh: (🧵)
I just did the deal for books 12 & 13 in my first 12 months as an S&S editor (🎉)—and many of them are picture books! (My first & forever love.)
So this year, I’m especially eager to acquire more MG and YA: novels/verse, graphics, nonfiction.
Ry @literytureok listen, an anthology where all of the authors come together to create an original pair of characters, then each story is one of the authors writing that same core pair in a wildly different AU twitter.com/puccanoodles/s…
HEY HI HELLO #MSWL
If you write this, dear authors, I will buy the heck out of it and that’s a promise
D.B. Gee—Querying Speculative Fantasy! @DBGeeWrites@featherfully Hi Feather! I took a peek at the website for the publishers in your bio but didn't see YA as an age range. You liked one of my pitches (thank you ), so I'm hoping to confirm you are interested in acquiring YA stories. Thank you!
Hey D.B.! Oh gosh, that's strange. But YES—Atheneum publishes picture books, MG, YA, and graphic novels within the S&S Children's group. My specific #MSWL lives here, if you want to check it out: featherflores.com/mswl/. Any questions, give me a shout! (& ahh your pitch is 🔥🔥)
Erin Murphy @agentemurphI would LOVE additional recs, please! And also, I have to say, these must be very hard to get publishers to buy ("But almost nothing happens! It's all character- and world-building!") and yet obviously there are a lot of us hungry for it.
Agents! Hello! This thread is a great excuse to remind you that cozy fantasy & sci-fi is explicitly on my #MSWL! I WILL BUY IT, please let me buy it, thank you & happy long weekend 💖💕💗😊
geneva @gdbeeartTrains in summer... they are perfect all year round, but especially in summer pic.twitter.com/FLw0bx4eae
#MSWL trains! trains are perfect! all train aesthetics are perfect! trains forever!
- History & historical fiction that centers marginalized perspectives!
- Charming, Agatha Christie-esque mysteries!
- Stories exploring the impact of immigration!
- Friendship stories! Whimsical romps! Fun & fast-paced adventures!
- FOOD! Forever & always food!
And of course…
- Mythology! Fairytales! Folklore! (Especially from non-European cultures!)
- Magical realism! Witchery! Magic rooted in nature!
- Atmospheric, gentle fantasy a la Studio Ghibli!
- Fantasy & science fiction rooted in inclusive world-building!
- Multigenerational family stories!
- Stories about language & connection!
- Romances starring 2+ characters of color!
- Mixed-race perspectives! Explorations of belonging & being in-between!
- Healthy, empowering relationships! Found family! Community! Platonic love!
I’m acquiring picture books, MG & YA novels, and graphic novels for all ages (both fiction & nonfiction in all formats). Joyful, uplifting voice- and character-driven stories are my jam!!
My (very) full #MSWL is available here: featherflores.com/mswl
Feather Flores 🌸 @featherfully✨Professional Update!✨
It’s PW-official: I’m thrilled to share that I’ve joined the incredible team at Atheneum / @SimonKIDS! 🤗🎉
Agent friends! If it’s been awhile since we connected, please reach out! I’d love to chat. 💕
And if we’ve never spoken, let’s change that! (I’m always especially excited to connect with newer/junior agents—I see the good work you’re doing & I want to buy your clients’ books!)
Watch this space for excited first day post and updated #MSWL coming next month! Agent friends, I’ll be excited to connect (or re-connect) in early June. I can’t wait to make more incredible books together! 🥰