The North Literary Agency
Literary agent with @northlitagency . Graceless in the face of free food. Often forgets what goes on in DMs. she/her
Okay, I’m open for submissions again! My #mswl currently includes dark academia, horror, big emotion romance, anything high concept - MG and up. I love folklore and myths from around the world. If I love the voice I’ll tag along for anything!
For the UK #amquerying crowd: NOW would be a very good time to send me fun contemporary MG, magical realism MG, YA romance, YA horror or other YA/crossover SFF.
So, what I want is:
- A strong voice and clear concept that grabs you immediately
- Straightforward language
- Age appropriate story
If this is you and you are writing funny, magical, adventure or detective MG stories pleeease send in!
- A mismatch between themes and reading level e.g. younger story told in advanced language
- Adopting 'young' style in dialogue but not in the rest the of narrative
Common issues that mean I'll pass on a manuscript:
- Story/writing style/word choices more suited for an older readership
- The 'call of action' coming too late / too much exposition
I've been trawling our subs inbox for great middle grade. I thought I'd share some observations:
- Firstly, we don't get sent enough of it!
- Seeing a lot eco themes, historical, & animal protagonists - Not enough contemporary
- A lot of Upper MG, not enough Lower
Getting some traction for an old #mswl tweet so thought I should update with what I am actively looking for RIGHT NOW: Crime and psychological thrillers with a very, very, very clear hook, and wonderful MG - warm, funny, contemporary, magical - anything with a great voice!