Kortney Price @kortney_priceI'm getting a LOT of queries with super low word counts for their category/genre. When you're editing make sure to keep this in mind! Not sure? A great resource is litrejections.com/word-count/ #querytip #subtip
That’s so funny, because I’m getting all the queries with super high word counts. 😂🤷🏼♀️ Guys, even in adult high fantasies, I really don’t want to be reading a book longer than 130k words. I just don’t have that kind of time and I bet you can probably tighten it. #querytip
#querytip If an agent rejects you because of your word count, please don’t resubmit your query with the exact same pages and word count, only changing your query to now list all of the ridiculous reasons the agent is supposedly wrong and you are supposedly right. #Nope
#querytip Another great conversation and clarification that's come about tonight: Third Person Omniscient vs. Third Person Limited! It's important to know the difference and which one you're writing. :) Make sure you do your research with other books, too! thebalancecareers.com/third-person-p…
#querytip I'm seeing so many people who don't have a strong, enthralling voice for three reasons:
1. You're not varying your sentence structure.
2. You're not telling the story from your MC, but rather a narrator.
3. You're not utilizing all of your MC's senses to tell the story.
#Querytip I've seen many authors who have no idea how to write a query recently. My box is filled with writers who only put a few sentences down or put their synopsis in the query section instead. If you're unsure how, @JaneFriedman is an excellent source! janefriedman.com/query-letters/
4. The accidental pregnancy/using a baby as the only tension in romance is not my jam.
5. Psychological thrillers are basically with emotional turmoil. Anything too emotionally/psychologically dark and I don't like it.
6. I don't represent PBs or chapter books. #querytip
10 things I wish writers knew about me:
1. I don't like Christmas stories, but I love Christmas as a holiday.
2. I have a horse but I don't usually like horse stories.
3. I'm not an animal main character person, even in MG. I can never connect, even though I love them.
Found a slew of queries today making 1 of these 2mistakes:
1. Not including an actual query. Please research queries and what's meant to be in them before querying.
2. Querying self published books because you want a larger audience and now want to traditionally pub.
#querytip A lot of people try to break the fourth wall in their manuscripts, but the problem with that is that you, as a writer, are physically making your reader step back and realize they're not in your story. Part of the magic of books that you love is because you feel like
Authors, heads up that #TeamCorvisiero CAN see when you have queried multiple of our agents on query manager. Having separate forms unfortunately does not change the rules. Please only query one of us with one project at a time (because we can see all projects too!) #querytip