ray stoeve (they/them) @raystoevef/f YA has almost NO trans girls in it, have we ever talked about that??? that needs to change. publish more trans women. write trans girls as your LIs (WITHOUT being transphobic or weird about it or making the girl's trans status the focus of the plot/pairing).
In 2020, I want to acquire more books! (It is also my job.) So, agent friends, here's a #mswl thread that I'll add to all year long.
TL;DR: Send me PB, MG & YA projects that have a distinct POV and something to say. Bonus points for queerness & a net emotional outcome of joy.
-I've said it before but: Emily Dickinson was queer and I wanna read about it (YA)
- Another oldie: impeccably researched historical fiction (YA or MG) about the misogynist persecution of midwives, esp re: accusations of witchcraft
- Queer friendships
- TO ALL THE BOYS but may it gay
- picture books about cats and/or bears
- graphic novels in the vein of LAURA DEAN KEEPS BREAKING UP WITH ME or KISS NUMBER 8
- voicey middle grade where the protagonist is really into something niche. like really, weirdly into it
- suuuuuuuuuper gay, well-researched historical fiction à la Gentleman Jack
- messy, unlikable, vulnerable girls who can't stop fucking up (think Fleabag)
- stories that center friendship > romance
- novels by/about trans girls & trans femmes
anna borges @annabrogesi can't believe the american education system led me to believe that emily dickinson was some spinster shut in when she was actually busy writing super gay love letters to her brother's wife
Is anyone writing a YA novel about a queer teen's mind being blown upon reading these letters and then petitioning their high school to change the curriculum's portrayal of Emily Dickenson? Because I super want to publish that #mswl
Vulture @vulture"When I started reading the correspondence to Susan, I was like, This stuff is pretty sexy" vult.re/2XiwqHW
Honestly, #mswl. Gimme that gay YA historical fiction. Bonus points for epistolary novels.
Good morning, agent friends! As you may have guessed from my #dvpit RTs, I want to see more queer novels in my inbox (MG or YA). I would especially love to work on a book that centers queer friendships #mswl